Friday, June 6, 2008

Exploding Paints

The other day I thought I was being such a good mom. I made homemade paints with Gordon (just flour, water, and food coloring--great for teaching about mixing colors) put them in these cheap little bottles and let him squirt them out all over this box. He had great fun doing it and I was really feeling good about myself for doing some "artsy" thing with my son. Well, the next day he asked to paint again and so I got the paints down out of the cupboard and saw that one of them had exploded! It had leaked out all over and the others looked like they were about to do the same. When I opened them they made that sound like a lot of air pressure being released and the smell was awful! Is it just me...I mean I don't know what would have caused them to do this. Its just water, flour and food coloring. The only thing I could think of was that it had to be some chemicals or something in the food coloring. Anyway, Gordon really liked to do it so I guess next time we will just not make as much and have to use it all in one day.

8 comments:

Tina said...

Looks like it was a fun project... but weird that they would have exploded. Hm, The only thing I can think of is if you used self-raising or bread flour. I think it comes with a little yeast.

Great idea though!

Nick and Stacey said...

What a good mom you are! I keep saying I need to do things like this, but then I don't! I am sorry it exploded that is crazy! Gordon looks like he might be quite the artist!

Katie said...

that is a nice mommy. Flour will expand with water, but I guess you figured that out:)

Sean and Kyla said...

I mostly love that I misread the title and thought it said "Exploding Pants". so the whole time I was reading the post I was waiting to hear about someone's pants exploding one way or another! lol, but yes, still a great story...and probably a lot more pleasant and funny than an exploding pants story. Look at you all creative and interactive with your kids, nice!

nathan said...

haha, you are such a good mom! You inspire me to do more stuff like that with Sydney. Man, i need to do more fun stuff. You are so cute.

Nicky and Patrick said...

Hey we are so glad we found your blog. I saw the link on the Cornia's blog and thought I would say hi. Your kids are so cute. Glad to see everything is going well for you. Check out our blog at www.nicolecassity.blogspot.com

Jai said...

Oh my goodness, the boys look so big. Man time flys. I'm sorry I have been such a loser and not kept up with anyone. This is my last week of school for this semester and then I will get a 5 week break. YEAH! Anyway, I jumped on the bandwagon and felt it was best to not display our last name on our blog, so if you would change our blog address to tjkat.blogspot.com that would be great. (It is the same except that we dropped the last name!) Thanks, Jai

Tina said...

Emily... where are you?