Monday, January 28, 2008

Remembering Gordon B. Hinckley

Chris and I were sitting on the couch when we heard the news that President Gordon B. Hinckley had passed away. It saddened us greatly. Even though President Hinckley has mentioned that his time here was coming to a close, it almost seemed that it would never happen. I remember when he was sustained as our new prophet, I was in the fourth grade. President Hinckley has been the only prophet that I really remember. He is such a great man. Chris commented on how wonderful it would be to pass away and no one who has had the privilege to know you could think anything bad of you. He was always so optimistic and uplifting. I will miss his wonderful sense of humor and the power of his presence. I will always remember the amazing opportunity I had to shake hands with the prophet. I was about thirteen years old and the Young Women in my ward took a trip to Salt Lake to see the Legacy movie and to do baptisms for the dead in the Salt Lake Temple. It was a really wonderful trip. On Sunday we attended a ward at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and we were told that President Hinckley might be coming that day. We were so excited at the chance to be able to see the prohpet. Anyway, about ten minutes into the meeting, in walked President Gordon B. Hinckley! At the end of the meeting we were all able to go up and shake his hand. He had such a wonderful spirit about him and a big smiling, positive attitude.
When Chris and I were trying to think of names for Gordon, Chris did not like anything! While we were sitting in sacrament meeting I started writing "churchy" names on the program. Chris fell in love with the name Gordon. He said what a wonderful man to be named after. I hope that our Gordon will take on President Hinckley's optimism for life. He will truly be missed.

No comments: