Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cooking and the Fall

I love cooking in the fall. I love soups and stews and all the smells and spices of fall. The other day I made some Tortellini Soup and I wanted to grab my camera and take a picture of the lovely vegetables as they were sauteing. This was the best picture I could find but it doesn't do it justice.I just love everything about fall. We live in the best place for this time of year. Trees everywhere! Chris and I love to go driving in the canyon and just absorb all the beautiful colors. I feel like I'm looking at a painting. God really is an amazing artist.
Okay, secondly. I have the hardest time trying to figure out what to make for lunch. Gordon gets on a kick where he eats the same thing everyday for a few weeks and then he switches to something else. Right now it is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Before that, spaghetti-os. But now he won't even touch spaghetti-os. Anyway so I was looking up some recipes that Gordon could make with me and I found this one on the Family Fun website. Gordon loved being able to cook his own lunch, plus it was something new (and nutritious) and super easy! What do you guys usually do for lunch?
And lastly, my friend wanted me to post a recipe of this yummy salad/dessert I made the other day so here it is:
Strawberry Preztel Salad
2 cups crushed pretzels (I like them in big chunks)
1/2 cup margarine
2 Tbsp sugar
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) package of Cool Whip
1 cup sugar
2 cups hot water
1 large package strawberry Jell-O
1 (20 oz.) package frozen stawberries (I used fresh strawberries - SO much better!)
Mix pretzels, margarine, sugar and press into 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Let cool. Beat cream cheese, Cool Whip and sugar utnil smooth and creamy. Place on cooled crust. Mix the hot water, jello, and strawberries, let chill slightly, and place on top of cream cheese layer. Chill until jello is set. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Tina said...

Thanks for posting that dessert. It was yummy! I'll have to try making it soon.
We are pretty boring for lunches. Either leftovers, sandwiches, ramen, or mac and cheese usually. Today we warmed up a can of soup. Sometimes we do hot dogs or corn dogs. The calzones you linked too look pretty good too. That would be a fun one to make together. Bridget loves helping me cook too!

Brandon said...

Look at you chef! And that dessert looks so yummy. For lunch, we get on kicks too. Quesadillas, Campbell's soups, rice, avacados, black beans...Ethan won't eat peanut butter and jelly which makes me so sad..it's so easy! I need more healthy lunch ideas though.

I love that your boys suck their thumb. Neither of mine ever did and it looks so sweet!

Brandon said...

Sorry, I'm on Brandon's computer...it's really Julie..

Sandra said...

That salad is pretty yummy, my grandma makes that at most of our family gatherings. For lunch we usually have left overs also. My kids are big on Oodles of Noodles (Raman) They can't get enough of it! Anything fast is nice, mac and cheese, PB&J, or corn dogs are used regularly for a fast lunch here.