Sunday, January 25, 2009

Just a Thought

I came across this blog the other day and I think it was just what I needed to hear. I haven't posted in over two weeks and it was nagging on me at least once a day. Where do I start? How do I pick up again? I better have a dang good post to make up for missing all that time...But after reading this fellow blogger's post I realized: I do NOT needed any added stress to my life. Why am I doing this to myself? So I give you her post. I copied and pasted (and she said I could) so these words are not my own but I like them. Go here to see her blog.

After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone's blog starting with "I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile." I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one should utter those words again . . .and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation.

  • Because you shouldn't have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill.
  • Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine. Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine.
  • Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing.
  • Because sometimes less is more.
  • Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog.
  • Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat, link and comment numbers on your tombstone.
  • Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be "bloggable".
  • Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won't be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time. . .
My New Year's Resolution: Do not make blogging a chore! You will not hear any apologies from me. You might hear from me three times a day or once a month. No Guarantee!

8 comments:

Happy Housewife said...

Yay! You're back. I have missed your blog...I tried to call you tonight, but was unsuccessful. Let's talk soon. P.S. Even Craig was reading your blog the other day, and he was complimenting it. You should feel special.

Hilarie said...

I think that's how blogging should be too. Good thinking and thanks for passing it along..

*LaUrA* said...

I love #6 the most!

"Here lies Laura Van Noy who had 15,000 views at the time of her death. She wrote posts that were too long so most people wouldn't even read them, but at least she wrote for herself. She could have benefited from #4. She averaged right around 13 comments per posts...if you want to know more about her please visit her blog at lauravannoy.blogspot.com"

Emily...will you be in charge of inscribing this for me when that great and dreadful day comes?

Okay...so I am not funny. But I liked this post. And I don't want to put pressure on you to post but just want to let you know we all like reading it when you do!

Des said...

She said that well! I used to look at it, now I do as a journal (I'll printing it into journals) so I look at things a whole different way. Things I want my kids to remember, experiences and laughter. I blog a whole lot more now. Of course it is fun to do other stuff too...and who doesn't love comments :) I love your blog- so whenever you post I'm happy!

Lara said...

Amen amen amen. Should be fun, and if it gets to the point of stressing or thinking about it too much, x-nay it for a while.

BTW I LOVE your profile picture. You are gorgeous.

Raelynn said...

I have to agree.. But i feel my blog is mainly for me.. like it's my journal, so i do feel bad when i'm not kept up.. looks like you guys had a blast this holiday!!

Sean and Kyla said...

lol, I like it!

Nick and Stacey said...

I LOVE that! So true, blogging shouldn't be so overwhelming, but seriously sometimes I think it is! But I will remember this post every time I think "Gee I haven't posted in a while...what a loser am i!"