Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Mother's Nightmare

Once again, we spent our Saturday evening in the hospital. I sat there feeling so awful, wishing I could take away my little boy's pain; beating myself up thinking I could have prevented this. Am I really that bad of a mother that my children are in the hospital every other month? Gordon HATES hospitals ever since last December when he had to go in for dehydration and we had to pin him to the bed to get an IV in him (it took 4 tries because his veins kept collapsing). He was so scared and I just wanted to take him in my arms and make it all go away with the power of my hug.
What happened this time, you ask. We were finishing a wonderful day at the local swimming pool, I had just wrapped Gordon tight in his towel to keep him warm; he took two steps and fell flat on his face, with no arms to catch his fall. There was a lot of blood and tears but over all not a big deal. We stuffed some tissue up is nose and in his mouth and started to head for home. And then the nightmare began. This was our conversation in the car ride:
Gordon: What happened?
Me: You fell down.
G: Where?
M: At the swimming pool, remember?
A few seconds pass
G: What happened?
M: You fell and hurt your nose.
G: Where?
M: At the swimming pool. Do you remember swimming?
G: Yes. (Few seconds.) What happened?
M: (I'm really starting to freak out now, too many medical dramas on TV pop into my head) Honey you fell down. Where did you fall down? Do you remember?
G: Where? Tell me.
This went on and on for about 5 minutes. Then we told him he was going to the hospital and he started crying. After a few minutes he asked where we were going. Again, to the hospital. Crying.
Long story short. A lot of waiting at the hospital to find out, after the Cat Scan, everything was fine. Just a concussion. Phew!!

6 comments:

Hilarie said...

Ouch! Gordon does get hurt a lot, poor kid. And he has a good reason for sure not to like hospitals.. when he was sick in December and when he got staples in his head...

Hilarie said...

Oh and I meant to also say that I'm so glad he's ok!!

Sandra said...

Poor kid. That would scare me too if he kept asking the same question. Oh and No your not a bad mother, accidents happen.

nathan said...

oh man, that really us so scary. I'm glad in the end it is ok. phew. I love the picture you put with this post. so awesome, priceless.

Sean and Kyla said...

oh jeez. that IS really scary. what an exciting life you lead! seriously.

Katie said...

I'm glad he is okay. That would have freaked me out. He is a cutie pie.

Hey you guys should come hang out for a few days.