Friday, October 24, 2008

Curse of the Oldest Child

When I was pregnant with Gordon, I had hoped it would be a girl because I had heard that girls were the most helpful with the other children. Well, I think the oldest child just has to be helpful. Poor Gordon, I ask him to do so much for me, usually just little things, and I know he gets sick of it. The other day he was playing in his room, walked into the family room and stopped right by the couch and asked me if I would please hand him the burp cloth that was right on the arm of the couch. Mind you I was in the kitchen. I laughed and said sure because I'm sure he thinks I do the same to him! I wonder what he must think of me, "lazy mom!"

5 comments:

nathan said...

haha. That is so funny. AMEN though, it is so true. and I don't know what I would do the other way around- I need her little helping hands! he is cute.

Hilarie said...

Funny Gordon!! I think I do the same thing with Kambree that I've just taught her to ask people to do all sorts of stuff for her. :)

Happy Housewife said...

Ah Gordon, what a good kid. Just don't abuse it - look how it traumatized your oldest sister. Serious issues here. But, I totally do the same thing with Ellie. Poor oldest kids.

Sandra said...

I've thought the same in our home too. I'm sure Danika is sick of doing things but she is so helpful, like tonight I cut the boys hair while she filled the bath tubs since Daddy isn't feeling well. She even got Jacob undressed and in the bath for me.

Tina said...

Bridget has been doing the same... She asks me ever now and then to do a favor for her - think she's heard that a time or two?