Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Day I Was Born

Have you ever wondered: What was going on in the world the day I was born? What were the hit songs that year? What was the price of bread, a gallon of milk, or a gallon of gas? Well, you can go to this website to find out. http://dmarie.com/timecap/ Here's my info:

Tuesday March 13, 1984

Top News Headlines This Week:
Mar 13 - Last day of 1st-class cricket for G Chappell, R Marsh, B Laird Mar 13 - Western Australia beat Queensland by four wickets to win the Sheffield Shield Mar 13 - WA beat Queensland by four wickets to win the Sheffield Shield - nothing really interesting

Top Songs for 1984:
Against All Odds by Phil Collins
When Doves Cry by Prince - love this song!
What's Love Got to Do with It by Tina Turner
Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
Like a Virgin by Madonna
Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
Jump by Van Halen
Footloose by Kenny Loggins - love this song too!
I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham!

1984 Prices:
Bread: $0.54/loaf Gas: $1.20/gal
Milk: $1.94/gal House: $97,000
Eggs: $1.16/doz Stamp: $0.20/each
Car: $11,450 Avg. Income: $31,052/year
Min. Wage: $3.35/hour - can you believe these prices! I find it interesting that everything has at least doubled except for the Min. Wage and Avg. Income.

Academy Award Winners:
Best Picture: Amadeus Directed By Milos Forman
Best Actor: F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus
Best Actress: Sally Fields in Places In The Heart

On TV in 1984:
Family Ties
St. Elsewhere
Cheers
Miami Vice
Night Court
Cagney & Lacey
Knight Rider
The Cosby Show
Hill Street Blues
Remington Steele

Hot New Toys in 1984:
Body Boggle - does anyone know what in the world this is?
Sweet Secrets Lockets
Axis & Allies
Rollerblades - yes, I loved these!
GoBots
Sweet Secrets Transformable Jewelry - transformable jewlry, no way; why don't we still have this?!
WWF Action Figures

Top Books in 1984:
Dear Mr. Henshaw by Robin McKinley

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Hey thats pretty fun, things hadn't changed much from 1980 when I was born. I'm going to use that as one of my posts to if you don't mind? Thanks for the fun flash back!

Tina said...

That's pretty interesting. I'll have to look up my birthday - curious!
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Sean and Kyla said...

happy birthday!

Katie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EM! We were going to call you, but then I had enrichment tonight and it got crazy. Hope you had a HAPPY BIRTHDAY. We sure love you!

Lara said...

Happy Birthday Emily! Kiss your kiddos for me!