Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Help Me...

The other day I spent at least a half an hour (consecutively) on the toilet with Gordon. And nothing...nada...zip...not even a little drip. We read books, played rock, paper, scissors, and made funny faces while pushing. I will admit I was a little disapointed. Okay, maybe more than a little. Gordon has wanted to sit on the potty for a long time and I haven't taken him seriously because I was prego and didn't want to deal with it. Well, I may have missed my chance. He likes to sit on the potty and flush the toilet and lets not forget about using toilet paper, he loves that too. He just hasn't done anything in the toilet yet. I think once he actually does it and gets rewarded he will want to do it again but how do I get him to do it in the first place. I tried getting him to drink lots of fluids but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

sorry...no suggestions because my little one is doing THE SAME EXACT THING!!! First thing in the morning he goes and sits on the potty and does this all throughout the day...but nothing...he loves to flush, wash hands, and even wipe (and unroll all of the toilet paper if I'd let him.)...so I am going to keep checking back to see what others have to say. good luck!!

Katie said...

If you're going to go the high fluid route, I'd suggest planning on staying home and hanging out in the bathroom all day long for several days. Gordon is still pretty young...does he tell you when he needs to go or has just gone? Wake up dry? I waited till my boys were three to even start potty training, and it went pretty quickly. I did the "start young and drag it out method" with Alli, and that was a pain for us. I wanted her to be trained by the time the twins were born, and she was mostly day trained, but it was a hassle and I did tons and tons of laundry for months! What eventually worked for the boys was to have Daddy teach them to swordfight. I tell you, the things I never considered since I didn't have any brothers! They also liked to sink cheerios in the potty.

So I guess my advice is to wait until you are sure he's ready and willing. Just being willing is going to make for a really long, frustrating time if his body isn't physically ready. And stock up on antibacterial handwash, because you'll visit every potty in every store and office building as far as the eye can see.

Sandra said...

I agree with k whoever that is he he. Waiting till he is ready and willing. Andrew was close to three before he was potty trained. Have you ever heard of Kannado? They have stickers and a fun passport they keep them in. Has he picked out his own underware from the store? I have done this will all of mine well except Jacob of course. Once they get it they seem to be more excited about being a big boy. I don't know what else to say except that it needs to be his decision. Good luck!

julie said...

What helped a lot for us, was naked time with Ethan...which is hard to do when it's cold, but we started in late summer so he could run around in our backyard without a diaper. Once he realized the feeling and saw it coming out, that was the first step. He also went bare bum inside and had a couple accidents, but then learned it was bad so he would run to the potty. I'm making it sound easy..but it took a 2-3 months for him to be pee trained, and 3 more to be poop trained. So, it pretty much sucked.